This is a collection of projects representing the history of Weber State University. The WSC 50th Anniversary Collection documents the moving of Weber College from downtown Ogden to Harrison Boulevard in 1954. The History of the Bell Tower includes a scrapbook and photographs depicting the historic campus landmark, which was "a gift of love from Donnell and Elizabeth Stewart to the college and community it serves.” The Photo History of Buildings 1 and 2 begins on October 19, 1950, when the Utah State Board appropriated $1,150,000 for the construction of the first four buildings on campus. Weber State College: A Centennial History provides a one-hundred year history of the institution from its founding in 1889 to 1989. The Whip Club Scrapbook provides a history of the school’s pep club, covering the years between 1946 and 1955. The WSC Oral History Program ran from 1970 to 1983 and the WSU Oral History Program from 2007 to the present, both programs document personal reminiscences of the history of the institution. The Weber State Student Oral History Program has been in place since the 1970s, providing students with an opportunity to learn the value and importance of recording public history.
Literary publications have been an important part of Weber’s history. These early publications include writings, photographs and history submitted by students, faculty and alumni. Some periodicals had a longer run than others, but all provide an interesting feel for the social life of their time and a glimpse into Weber’s past. The first publication went to print in 1904 under the name of The Acorn. The Acorn ran from 1904 – 16; The Weber Literary Journal from 1921 – 26; The Acorn Crumb from 1931 – 34; Scribulus ran from 1935 – 66 and doubled as a yearbook for several years; Transit from 1942 – 43; The Selector in 1948; The New Touch in 1948; Probe from 1968 – 72; Kaleidoscope in 1968; and The Aardvark Review from 1978 – 80.
This collection consists of the annual catalogs issued by Weber through six different name changes. The first catalog was issued in 1897 for the Weber Stake Academy when the academy was affiliated with the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. In 1908 the school became known as the Weber Academy, and changing its name again to Weber Normal College in 1918. By 1922 the institution had changed its name to Weber College and in 1935; the church transferred the institution to the State of Utah. As the school continued to evolve, it became known as Weber State College in 1963, and finally in 1991 it gained university status and became known as Weber State University. The catalogs in this collection provide a rich history of the evolution of courses being taught throughout the progression of the institution.
This is a collection of yearbooks which track the institution through five different name changes from 1905 to 1982. The yearbooks include photographs of students, class officers, faculty, Board of Education/Trustees, athletics, clubs, organizations and advertisements from local businesses. The Weber Stake Academy and Weber Academy yearbooks comprise the years 1905 to 1918, with a collection of yearbooks from Weber Normal College which consists of the years 1919 to 1923. In 1924 the name changed to Weber College which includes the years 1924 to 1963. However, the yearbook publication ceased 1932-34; 1943-46 and the 1950-53 editions are Scribulus-Acorn publications, which are a condensed version of the yearbook. The final Weber State College yearbooks comprise the years 1964 to 1982, in which publication ceased 1973; 1975-81, with 1982 being the last publication of the Acorn.
Weber's first newspaper was called the Weber Herald and it ran from 1917 to 1935. The current student newspaper, the Signpost, first appeared on September 29, 1937. For two years prior to that time, campus news was disseminated via announcements posted on a bulletin board known as the "Signpost". As a result, the masthead of the first issue of the paper itself featured a rudimentary wooden sign with the title spelled out in rustic-looking letters. Over the years the paper has been published continuously, though the look, size and style has changed several times.