For nearly twenty years after the first pioneers came to Utah, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints was the only religious denomination in the area. That changed in Weber County with the introduction of Catholicism in 1866. By 1888 Ogden City had a thriving religious community with a variety of different churches and religions. The first school was established in 1850 with Charilla Abbott as the first teacher. The school system continued to grow with public and private institutions accepting students. A bond issue passed in 1890 allowing for new buildings.